You may know what to do if you or a family member is stung by a bee, but what should you do if it happens to your dog? It’s important to watch your dog closely after a bee sting in order to ensure your pet’s safety. If your dog seems to be having trouble breathing, seems unusually fatigued, or shows severe swelling around the sting site, it could mean a life-threatening allergic reaction. Vomiting and extreme distress are also strong warning signs of an allergic reaction. If this happens, take your pet to an animal hospital in Saratoga right away.
If your dog does not seem to be reacting badly to the sting, you should still keep an eye on your pet, as an allergic reaction may be slow to develop. Remove the bee’s stinger carefully using tweezers, and apply a cold compress to relieve any swelling around the area. If you are still concerned about your pet, consult your veterinarian.